At the November 12, 1958 meeting of the South Brooklyn Businessmen’s Association the idea of the need for a new organization was first introduced. The new association would be opened to professional and businessmen of Polish-American heritage. The stated purpose would be the good and welfare of all Polish-Americans, mutual benefit to members, participate in community affairs and to honor a distinguished Pole annually. At the February 1959 meeting, the name of Pulaski Association of Business and Professional Men was adopted. The Certificate of Incorporation was formally adopted on the 13th day of October 1959. The original directors were: Stanley Dworanczyk, Vincent Brunhard, Matthew Widlicki, Walter T. Thomas, Alfred J. Bartosiewicz, Ludwig Glowa, John J. Borchardt, Richard J. Gaza and Edward A. Kurmel. The actual Certificate was signed by all of the above and in addition Raymond A. Dobosiewicz, Edward March and Joseph Matulicz. The Certificate was prepared by John J. Borchardt. The By-Laws of the association were prepared by Raymond A. Dobosiewicz. With all of the formalities completed, the organization was now functioning. At the first formal annual meeting in October 1959, the first Executive Board was elected. The results of the election were as follows:
President: Stanley Dworanczyk
First Vice President: Ludwig G. Glowa
Second Vice President: .Edward Kurmel
Financial Secretary: Edward J. Derengowski
Recording Secretary: Walter T.Thomas
Corresponding Secretary: Victor Makowski
Sergeant-at-Arms: Vincent Brunhard
With the first Executive Board in place, the first Man of The Year was selected and the organization was proud to honor the Honorable Ludwig G. Glowa. The honoring of a prominent Polish-American was started and continues to this day.
During the following year the stated purposes of the organization were carried out with financial support given to many charitable organizations. Not only was financial aid given but many of the affairs and presentations were supported. The organizations supported were not only in the United States but also in Poland. A partial list of the organization that received support were: The Kmn’ntrko Foundation, The Henryk Sienkiewicz Supplementary School, The Maria Konopnicka Supplementary School, The Rada Oswiatowa Supplementary School, Friends for the Blind ,Our Lady of Czestochowa Church, Food for Polish Children, Polish American Congress, Greenpoint and South Brooklyn Camp Fund, General Pulaski Parade Committee, Polish Immigration Committee, Poznan Boys’ Choir, Women’s Committee for Blind and Handicapped, Polish Singers Alliance, Polish Army Veterans, Greenpoint Mental Health Committee, Polish American Relief Committee, United Youth Activities Appeal of South Brooklyn, The Paderewski Foundation, Polish American Hi-Hatters, Liga Morska, Polish Millenium, Ramblers Bugle Corp. of Our Lady of Czestochowa, Greenpoint Ambulance Volunteers, Polish Falcons, Polish Institute of Arts and Sciences, Ampola Polish Historical Society, Orchard Lake Seminary, Smolenski Democratic Club, White Eagle Democratic Club, Pulaski Republic League, Echo Singers Society, Jutrzenka Singing Society, Matusz Dance Group, Saint Stanislaw Kostka Church, Saint Stanislaw Church of Ozone Park, Blind Children of Laska and the Polish-Slavic Center in Greenpoint.
The Civil Service organizations were also given the whole-hearted support of our organization. The Grand Council of Pulaski Association, Pulaski Association of New York City Park Department, Pulaski Association New York City Police Department, Pulaski Association of New York City Fire Department, and the Pulaski Association of New York City Sanitation Department. The support of the organization was also directed to the political side of affairs with the organization giving their support to Judge Ludwig Glowa and Judge Walter Bayer. This support was effective and both were reappointed. Many of the Polish-Americans that ran for elective office were also helped. Among the candidates that received the organization’s support were Chester J. Straub, Chester Straub, Edward Kurmel, Raymond A. Bobosiewicz, Stanley Dworanczyk, Edward Witanowski, Leo Wysocki, Stanley Pryor, Mary Ann Krupsak, Dr. Leon Nadrowski and Thomas Bartosiewicz. The businesses of Polonia were not neglected and our organization is proud of the fact that all of our affairs and meetings were held in Polish owned places. With the growth of the organization, the members were not neglected. Lectures and seminars were structured to benefit everyone. The first instance of this was a lecture by the Honorable Roman Lapinski, Deputy Commissioner of the State Liquor Authority. His knowledge and expertise were helpful to those members in that industry.
As our group had grown, the assistance given became more substantial. After a visit to the Home for the Aged in Huntington, L.I., N.Y., run by the Benedictine Sisters, a grant of $1,000.00 was given. On January 8, 1969, a scholarship of $1,000.00 was established, to be administered by the Kosciuszko Foundation. This scholarship is to be given to a young man from the Metropolitan Area of Polish Parents whose ambition is in the field of Medicine, Engineering, Dentistry, Law, Science or Business Administration. The Pulaski Business and Professional Men, Inc. also has sought to assist our school children. A competition, in conjunction with the Polish American Teachers Association, was sponsored for our high school students. The topic for the essay was specified so that the children would have to research and learn about their Polish heritage. The presentation was made to the three winners by Senator Thomas Bartosiewicz in the Capital building in Albany. The children of our parochial and supplementary schools have for many years participated in an essay competition. Each year a topic is assigned so that the children will be induced to learn to do research and learn about their Polish heritage. Each school has one essay winner and receives a U.S. Savings Bond.
One of the main reasons for the founding of our organization was the concept of honoring a prominent Pole that has been active and helpful to Polonia. During the years the following deserving men have been honored:
1960 – HON. LUDWIG G. GLOWA
1961 – KAZIMIERZ JARZEBOWSKI
1962 – STANLEY R. DWORANCZYK
1963 – HON. EDWARD A. KURMEL
1964 – MARTIN M. WEGLICKI
1965 – POLISH-AMERICAN PRESS AND RADIO
1966 – MATTHEW WIDLICKI
1967 – “HONOR BALL”
1968 – VINCENT BRUNHARD SR.
1969 – CASIMIR J. KOSZARSKI
1970 – RAYMOND S. DZIEJMA, D.D.S.
1971 – ALFRED J. BARTOSIEWICZ
1972 – JOSEPH L. KOSTECKI, M.D.
1973 – STANLEY F. DEBSKI, M.D.
1974 – EUGENE KUSIELEWICZ, Ph.D.
1975 – GEORGE ZIELINSKI
1976 – C. EDWARD CICHON
1977 – HENRY A. POLANSKI, P.E.
1978 – GREGORY P. CZUCHLEWSKI
1980 – ANTHONY J. PIERZGALSKI
1981 – HON. ALFRED T. MIZGALSKI
This is but a brief history of our first twenty five years. To try to list all of our hopes, wishes and achievements is difficult. However brief this account is, it is an idea, a glimpse into our organization. May the next twenty-five years enlarge our organization in enlarging we can enlarge our support of Polonia.